UConn HealthStudent Services Center

Financial Aid

Guidelines for Applying: Ph.D., M.P.H. and M.S.D.S. Programs

Graduate Research Assistantships
Students admitted to the Ph.D. and M.D./Ph.D. programs are generally eligible for institutional graduate research assistantships. Approximately 20 graduate research assistantships are available each year through the Graduate Programs Committee (GPC) for Ph.D. students. For 2011-12 the stipend is $28,000 for 12 months. The assistantship also includes a student health plan and a waiver of tuition and the majority of fees.

The GPC also provides an assistantship to one Master of Public Health and one Master of Dental Science student. These graduate research assistantships are awarded on a competitive basis. Similar benefits are provided by a limited number of graduate assistantships sponsored by the M.P.H. program.

In addition to Health Center graduate research assistantships, certain programs and Areas of Concentration also have National Institute of Health (NIH) Training Grants which provide support to Ph.D. students. Currently NIH support is available in the combined M.D./Ph.D. and D.M.D./Ph.D. programs, and within the Areas of Concentration of Neuroscience and Immunology.

Programs or individual faculty may also have other funds available to offer a student in a Masters or Ph.D. program a graduate research assistantship. These students are also entitled to a waiver of tuition and insurance coverage.

Students admitted into a graduate program with committed stipend support or individual competitive fellowships from external sources, or students who obtain such support after matriculation will have such support guaranteed provided they remain in good academic standing. The term committed stipend support refers to GPC research assistantships and NIH training grants, but not to support from individual investigator's grants or other sources.

Ph.D. and M.P.H. Program
Financial aid in the form of loans is also available. Students in the Ph.D. or Master of Public Health program may apply for financial aid through the Financial Aid Office at the Storrs campus (email: financialaid@uconn.edu; phone: 860-486-2819).

M.S.D.S. Program
Students in the Master of Dental Science program apply for financial aid through the Financial Aid Office at the Storrs campus. Master of Dental Science students may email the Financial Aid Office at financialaid@uconn.edu or call 860-486-2819 for additional information for application materials.

A-Z INDEX        UCONN HEALTH        TEXT-ONLY UConn Health
Disclaimer   Privacy Notice
Maps & Directions